[Python-ideas] Add OS-dependent automatic glob support

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed Jan 7 15:44:26 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015, at 19:42, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> The PEP is inaccurate: it gives the wrong Python-Ideas thread for
> discussions on the wildcard idea. The wildcard idea is discussed in this
> thread:
>
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2012-November/017965.html

I think the fundamental difference between these cases is in handling
user-entered strings, especially command-line arguments (where the user
will expect them to behave a certain way, in particular "*.*" matching
all files even those with no dot - most of the other quirks are obscure
anyway) vs hardcoded (where expectations are determined by the
programmer, not the user).