[Python-ideas] Encouraging more use of the Python wiki

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 17:55:55 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Wes Turner <mailto:wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there tools for working with a regular editor (such as vim) and
> MoinMoin pages?

I'm not at all concerned with this, as I see the editing step being
pretty much orthogonal to the markup language and the version control
tools. Editing through a web browser pretty much sucks no matter what
you're trying to edit, especially if you are used to using highly
functional, mature editors like vim and Emacs. If you want your editing
to happen outside a glorified <textarea> widget, find an "offline"
editing plugin. (I happen to use Edit with Emacs from Chrome, but
there are other extensions available.)

I assume that MoinMoin will eventually be supplanted by some other
(wiki?) technology. I do think it's worth noting though, that while
Github and other version control services are all the rage for all
sorts of collaborative editing, wikis in general predate that sort of
technology by a long way. If I read correctly, the original C2 Wiki
was launched in 1995, MoinMoin in 2000, Git in 2005, and Github
not until 2007. See:

    * http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiHistory
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoinMoin
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)
    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitHub

It's only more recently developed wiki systems (or perhaps a few wiki
systems whose authors were prescient and saw DVCSs coming) which
support generic version control backends.

I think I posted a link yesterday which looked like a reasonable
starting point for converting MoinMoin markup to Markdown. Run with
that if you want. If you can parse MoinMoin markup and generate
Markdown, it shouldn't be too difficult to iterate over all the pages
and their iterations in wiki.python.org, convert to Markdown, then
commit to a Github repo.

I think MoinMoin has served the Python community pretty well. Despite
its apparent unpopularity, I think structural and content issues are
more important than the markup syntax used for that content or the
version control scheme implemented in the backend.

Skip