[Python-ideas] Encouraging more use of the Python wiki

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 21:55:36 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 2:45 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> ... and then you've changed the technology, lost the dynamic features
> of wikis, the permission controls, full text search, but have not
> solved the real issues, only created more work that's not relevant
> to the content.

I'm not sure what the disagreement is here. I wasn't advocating moving
away from wiki technology generally, just observing that the current
tool (MoinMoin) has different markup syntax and version control than
people appear to like (Markdown and GitHub). I imagine you could find
a wiki system which uses those two frontend and backend technologies.
I was only pointing out that converting from one to the other
shouldn't be terribly onerous, as long as you could iterate over the
versions and parse the existing syntax into the new form.

In any event, I agree that the content and structure is more important
than the implementation technology. If you can't solve those problems,
changing technology winds up being just a bunch of useless effort.

Skip