[Python-ideas] Syntax: 'return: ...' expressions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 02:12:56 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Yawar Amin <yawar.amin at gmail.com> wrote:
> As promised, a write-up of my idea:
> http://yawar.blogspot.ca/2015/01/expressive-functional-programming-with.html
>
> I have a feeling that some Pythoneers will really hate it, but hey, what
> can you do :-)

If you're coming to python-ideas, you probably should have in your
head that 'print' is a function and not a statement :)

I'm really not seeing the advantage of this system; instead of
expressing your code as a series of statements, you have to nest
everything inside everything else, and the advantage is... the purity
of having everything be an expression. Seems to me this has purpose in
penetration testing (eg proving that you can get past someone else's
sandboxing), but not practical programming.

ChrisA