[Python-ideas] Syntax: 'return: ...' expressions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 04:26:50 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Yawar Amin <yawar.amin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015-01-07 20:47, Ben Finney wrote:
>> [...]
>> If you are interested in the future of Python (which is what this forum
>> entails), you will be at cross purposes until you switch to Python 3.
>>
>> Those who want to continue writing for Python 2 are welcome to do so,
>> but Python 2 is not a consideration for discussing improvements to
>> Python.
>
> I'm aware of the current Python version and, as far as I can tell, have
> never proposed anything that would only work with an older version.
>
> The comments you're replying to are about something I posted on my own
> blog, which you'll agree is not python-ideas.

My apologies, I started this sub-thread in semi-jocular response to
your assumption (on the blog) that 'print' was a statement. If you use
other statements, your code will (as far as I know) work equally on
2.7 and 3.x, which is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

The content of your post is all stuff that can be done _without_
proposing changes to the language, so it's perfectly appropriate to
talk about both branches.

ChrisA