[Python-ideas] Better comand line version of python -c

Ed Kellett edk141 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 00:17:01 CET 2015

IMV, pythonpy relies too much on specific CLI options, rather than making
the Python ways to do those things more accessible.

I wrote a tool[1] that attempts to solve that problem, although it ended up
being heavily geared towards "take a stream of things and process each of
them"-type tasks.

Things it does that might be of interest here:
- handles exceptions pretty well, I think
- has a very small set of primitive operations (so there's less stuff to
remember about the tool itself)
- runs code in a custom environment, so it's isolated from my own
machinery. There is a tiny bit of API for controlling data flow; this is
accessed using auto-imports just like any other API.

Having played extensively with both, I think I'd like a standard tool to
adopt a philosophy more like mine with regard to the supported feature set.
Not just because that's how I did it; I feel like special support for e.g.
mutliline json input hurts use cases none of the developers thought of yet.

That said, it's possible my thing ended up a bit too ideological.

Ed Kellett

1. https://github.com/edk0/spy