[Python-ideas] Way to check for floating point "closeness"?

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:28:39 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 1:34 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> Unfortunately a naive ULP comparison has trouble with NANs, INFs, and
> numbers close to zero, especially if they have opposite signs. The
> smallest representable denormalised floats larger, and smaller, than
> zero are:
>
> 5e-324
> -5e-324
>
> These are the smallest magnitude floats apart from zero, so we might
> hope that they are considered "close together", but they actually differ
> by 9223372036854775808 ULP. Ouch.

Only with a naive (i.e., wrong :-) implementation. Those two floats differ
by precisely 2 units in the last place, and any correct implementation
should report that.  It's not hard to write code that deals correctly with
opposite signs.  Here's a simple difference_in_ulps function that correctly
reports the number of ulps difference between any two finite floats.

>>> import struct

>>> def to_ulps(x):

...     n = struct.unpack('<q', struct.pack('<d', x))[0]

...     return -(n + 2**63) if n < 0 else n

>>> def difference_in_ulps(x, y):

...     return abs(to_ulps(x) - to_ulps(y))

>>> difference_in_ulps(-5e-324, 5e-324)

2

This is almost exactly what's in Lib/test/test_math.py already, except that
the function there is better documented and uses "~(n + 2**63)" instead of
"-(n + 2**63)" in the negative n correction branch, which has the effect of
regarding 0.0 and -0.0 as 1 ulp apart.

Comparing by ulps was what I needed for testing library-quality functions
for the math and cmath modules; I doubt that it's what's needed for most
comparison tasks.  I'd expect the suggested combination of relative error
and absolute error to be more appropriate most of the time.

--
Mark