[Python-ideas] PEP 484 (Type Hints) -- first draft round

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 16 18:30:58 CET 2015

I forgot to mention the tracker!

A lot of the recent discussions regarding PEP 484 have actually been held
in an issue tracker on GitHub: https://github.com/ambv/typehinting/issues .
We intend to keep this tracker around forever, as a collection of artifacts
that may help understanding various decisions. We also hope that continued
discussion will happen in this tracker (both in existing issues and in new
ones -- anyone with a github account can open a new issue).

So when should you use the tracker and when should you post to
python-ideas? That's really up to you. The tracker is probably a better
place to have detailed discussions about type system esoterica;
python-ideas is probably a better place to ask for clarification. When in
doubt, try python-ideas; and I'd prefer it if the tracker didn't get
flooded with new issues about typos and such (you can send those to me
directly).

Note that the GitHub project also contains the history of the PEP, as well
as an experimental typing.py module. The latter is far from finished and
hasn't been updated to match the PEP yet, so read it at your own risk. :-)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)