[Python-ideas] PEP 484 (Type Hints) -- first draft round

Stephen Hansen me+python at ixokai.io
Tue Jan 20 00:45:40 CET 2015

> > I like the :: idea.
>>
>> +1 on the :: idea.
>>
>> As for the typing system, I think the proposal is pretty much spot on.  I
>> know I've been harping on annotations being forcefully restricted to types
>> only, but the proposal itself (the typing library, etc.) is a really good
>> proposal.  Unless Python suddenly stops being Python, it's not too likely
>> that any typing system can handle all possible cases of what we can do in
>> the language (at least, not without becoming insanely unwieldy).
>>

> The :: idea creates unambiguous space for static/type annotations which
> wouldn't even have to compile and execute and thus escape less-than-optimal
> solutions to the forward reference problems, all this without needlessly
> interfering with existing or potential uses of annotations for run-time
> purposes, a feature unique(?) to python.
>
> +1 on the :: idea.

Please, no.

Type hinting is already making function definitions verbose enough as it
is. The very idea that we'd have both ":" and "::" in the language and that
somehow this isn't ambiguous is completely obscene to me.

There's only so much room in a function definition for information while
keeping it clear and readable.