[Python-ideas] PEP 484 (Type Hints) -- first draft round

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:31:33 CET 2015

On 22 January 2015 at 15:10, Ed Kellett <edk141 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Type checking will either fail, or become ubiquitous to the point that
> passing type checking is a prerequisite to being considered "good" for any
> Python module. Should the latter happen, I'll have to break my code for past
> or future Python versions, no?

You would never be required to add type hints to your own code. I
guess other projects could decide they will only accept contributions
that pass the typechecker - but you don't have to contribute to such
projects if you don't want to.

At least that's my understanding. Personally, I doubt I'll ever use
type hints, any more than I use tools like flake8. They don't suit the
sort of code I typically write.

Paul