[Python-ideas] PEP 485: A Function for testing approximate equality

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 26 20:26:59 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
wrote:

> > But throughout all this -- I haven't thought of a single case where I
> would
> > prefer a symmetric test and it would matter.
>
> But then it begs the question: are there cases where an asymmetric test
> matters?

Yes -- see the example in the PEP and on this list. If you have a known
value, and you want to know whether the value at hand is within some error
of the known value, then you want an asymmetric test -- and if you have
errors on order of 10% -- it does make a difference. Granted, I don't
expect this use case to be common, but it was brought up on this list.

> Simplicity has its virtues.

But which is more simple? I came to the conclusion that the asymmetric was
simpler to explain and reason about in any case.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov