[Python-ideas] PEP 485: A Function for testing approximate equality

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 27 23:35:50 CET 2015

I'm still confused. We're talking about a function that compares two simple
values, right? Where does the sequence of values come from? Numpy users do
everything by the array, but they already have an isclose(). Or perhaps
you're talking about assertApproxEqual in test_statistics.py? That has so
many ways to specify the relative and absolute tolerance that I give up
understanding it. The docstring doesn't give any clarity -- it simply
describes the behaviors, it doesn't say when you should be using both.
"[...] a naive implementation of relative error testing can run into
trouble around zero" (followed by a single example) doesn't really help me.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)