[Python-ideas] Adding a subprocess.CompletedProcess class

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed Jan 28 02:56:32 CET 2015

On 27 January 2015 at 17:34, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:

>    The worst outcome of included batteries: people are always trying to
> push all possible batteries into stdlib. :-(

Or perhaps the problem is that people like me keep using lower quality
batteries simply because those are the ones included. subprocess is at that
point where it's good enough that I don't want to learn and depend on
something else, but bad enough that I don't enjoy using it. None of the
wrappers you linked to before have gained the kind of traction that
requests has for HTTP, and I'm sceptical that they ever would.

>    Something like these?
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/iterpipes
> https://github.com/kelleyk/py3k-iterpipes
> https://github.com/airekans/Pypiep
> http://plumbum.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/popen
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/shell.py
> https://seveas.github.io/whelk/

To be clear, this is *not* what I'm suggesting go into subprocess. That
would make a much bigger, more complex battery.

Thomas