[Python-ideas] Are there asynchronous generators?

Ron Adam ron3200 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 03:28:20 CEST 2015

On 07/01/2015 01:56 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 1 July 2015 at 14:25, Ron Adam<ron3200 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> >
>> >That's really very nice.  Are there advantages to asyncio over the
>> >multiprocessing module?
> I find it most useful to conceive of asyncio as an implementation of
> an "event driven programming" development paradigm.

It makes since to think of events as IO.  Then on top of that, have some
sort of dispatch mechanism, which could be objective, imperative, or
functional.

A robot control program would be a good practical example to use to test
these things.  I think it's a good direction for python to go in.  They
need to process multiple sensor inputs, and control multiple external
devices all at the same time.  I think anything that makes that easier will
be good.  (It is the future.)

> P.S. It *is* possible to implement the "imperative shell, event driven
> core" model, but it requires a synchronous-to-asynchronous adapter
> like gevent, or an event-loop-per-thread model and extensive use of
> "run_until_complete()". It's much more complex than "just use
> concurrent.futures".

I'm not sure what a event driven core is exactly.  It seems to me it would
be an event driven (functional, objective, imperative) core.  The closest
thing I can think of that wouldn't be one of those would be a neural net.

Of course it may also be a matter of how we choose to think of things.
It's quite possible to have many layers of imperative, functional, and
objective, on top of each other.   Then we need to indicate the part of the
program we are referring to as being X shell/Y core.

Cheers,
    Ron