[Python-ideas] Pass a function as the argument "step" of range()

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 22:33:54 CEST 2015

On Jul 3, 2015, at 12:37, Pierre Quentel <pierre.quentel at gmail.com> wrote:

> - the second form requires mastering the functions in itertools, which is not the case of all Python developers - after all, itertools is a module, its functions are not built-in. Even those who do hesitate between count() and accumulate().

Nobody "hesitates" between count and accumulate. They do completely different things. And I think everyone who's answered you, and everyone who's read any of the answers, understands that. It's only because you described "powers of two" analytically in text, but "multiply the last value by two" iteratively in pseudocode, that there's a question of which one to use. That won't happen in any real-life cases.

Of course people who haven't "mastered" itertools and aren't used to thinking in higher-level terms might not think of accumulate and takewhile here; they might instead write something like this:

    def iterate(func, start):
        while True:
            yield start
            start = func(start)

    def irange(start, stop, stepfunc):
        for value in iterate(stepfunc, start):
            if value >= stop: break
            yield value

    for powerof2 in irange(1, 1000, lambda n:n*2):
        print(powerof2)

But so what? It's a couple lines longer and maybe a tiny bit slower (at least in CPython; I wouldn't be too surprised if it's actually faster in PyPy...), but it's perfectly readable, and almost certainly efficient enough. And it's abstracted into a pair of simple, reusable functions, which you can always micro-optimize later if that turns out to be necessary.

People on places like Reddit or StackOverflow like to debate about what's the absolute best implementation for any idea, but if the naive implementation that a novice would come up with on his own is good enough, those debates aren't relevant except as a fun little challenge, or a way to explore different parts of the language; the good enough code is good enough as-is. So, this just falls into the "not every 3-line function needs to be in the stdlib" category.