[Python-ideas] Should iPython Notebook replace Idle

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 21:00:05 CEST 2015

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Matthias Bussonnier <
bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 06:26, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Software Carpentry already recommend the IPython Notebook to research
> scientists and data analysts learning Python (understandably so, since
> IPython Notebook is built by and for research scientists and data
> analysts).
>

> I just want to add the the IPython team has no plan to request, or try to
> have IPython
> to be incorporated into standard library. We are happy and our users seem
> to be happy
> with it as an external package. This also allow us to do quicker releases,
> changes
> our dependencies (and our dependencies are growing), basically leave us
> more
> freedom.

Pros:
* already installed
* (C)Python community review

Cons:
* CPython release schedule
* CPython dependencies do not include the IPython dependencies
* CPython Makefile
* https://hg.python.org/cpython/file/tip/Lib
* Core Developers

For the hypothetical case that IPython and dependencies all decide to
migrate their projects to
the CPython source tree:

Docs:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/stdlibchanges.html#adding-a-new-module
Docs:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/stdlibchanges.html#adding-to-a-pre-existing-module

> It would also be funny to require nodejs to build the Javascript that would
> need to be shipped for the notebook...

And TypeScript.

> And despite some people loving IPython and the Notebook, we are the first
> to admit
> that the notebook is not the best tool for everything. We are still using
> vi/emacs/nano/ed/$EDITOR/$IDE to program, and it is better suited for a
> lot of tasks.
> Where notebook files are hard to edit in text editor[1].
>
> %logstart -o input_and_output_before_here_n_forward.py
!cp io.log scriptname.py
%ed ./scriptname.py

> That being said we would love to get some IPython-shell feature in
> the interactive python shell, like numbered prompt by default, and a
> way to have the help syntax with `?` easier to hook into, instead of doing
> reg-ex transform on the input.

%doctest_mode