[Python-ideas] Should iPython Notebook replace Idle

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:28:43 CEST 2015

On 6 July 2015 at 10:29, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> Shell and editor aside, it has occurred to be that it would be nice to have
> a tutorial-notebook-interactive-doc system of some sort that runs on tkinter
> and comes with the stdlib.  Thinking about it more, I believe that something
> basic that alternated between canned text, pre-written code, and a live
> prompt, could be added to the Idle Shell.

It's worth looking at some of the features of PyCharm Educational
Edition in that regard.

Tangentially related, something I would *love* to see at some point is
IPython's "obj?" and "obj??" syntax extensions elevated to formal
Python Enhancement Proposals.

Concept sketch:

    obj? calls sys.__dochook__(obj)
    obj?? calls sys.__helphook__(obj)