[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] PEP 493: Redistributor guidance for Python 2.7 HTTPS

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jul 7 14:18:12 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> <quote>
> This list is to contain discussion of speculative language ideas for
> Python for possible inclusion into the language. If an idea gains traction
> it can then be discussed and honed to the point of becoming a solid
> proposal to put to python-dev as appropriate.
> </quote>
>
> Relative to the above I believe that far too many proposals are for
> trivial ideas, mainly targetted at the stdlib, that would be better suited
> to the main python list.
>
> As for gaining traction, it's often the complete opposite, flogging a dead
> horse is an understatement for some threads.  Gently putting the OP down
> with a firm but polite "it ain't gonna happen" would save a lot of time all
> around.
>
> Just my £0.02p worth.

Agreed. It's also probably easier to just ignore an obviously bad or poorly
thought-out idea than to try to engage the OP in lengthy explanations of
why that is so. After all there's a huge amount of subjectivity -- we won't
change our minds, but it takes forever to explain to someone who's new to
Python core development.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)