[Python-ideas] Concurrency Modules

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Fri Jul 10 22:57:51 CEST 2015

Seems like many people agree with the general idea of having a standard
explanation and guideline of when to use which concurrency module. Nice!

On the difference of threads and processes; it is an interesting topic
(IMHO) but:

*1) both processes and threads are just means to an end*
2) I would like to interchange them when necessary/one appears to be
better than another
3) I would like to use the *same API* for both (for the major use
cases), and switch from threads to processes if necessary or the other
way round

Regarding asyncio:

1) I do not know what its purposes really is COMPARED to all the other
modules; that really needs clarification first before anything else
2) sometimes, I get the feeling people understand it as a third way to
do concurrency (along with processes and threads) but then Guido and
others tell me it makes no sense to use asyncio for stuff that can be
done with threading or multiprocesses

Let us see where these questions lead us.

(the following two weeks, I will not able to contribute thoughts here,
as am on a tour; I am curious of what the guys of python-ideas will post
here :) )

Regards,
Sven