[Python-ideas] In call grammar, replace primary with possible_call? (was Re: ...quote followed by a left parenthesis...?)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:53:03 CEST 2015

On 16 July 2015 at 12:28, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that the proposal should also include a change to "call":
>>
>> call ::= possible_call '(' args ')'
>>
>> replacing
>>
>> call  ::= primary '(' args ')'
>
> I presume that was the intent :)

Yes, I understood that - I just wanted to make it explicit (because it
confused me briefly).

>> (I was initially confused by the fact that possible_call included call
>> as an option, until I remembered how it fitted into the larger
>> picture).
>
> Calling the result of a call is the easiest way to demonstrate nested
> functions, closures, etc:

Absolutely - my point wasn't that calling the result of a call is
wrong, but that I had misunderstood possible_call as a replacement for
call, and hence got in a muddle over the proposed grammar change -
adding the explicit explanation that call is defined in terms of
possible_call helped me, so I thought it might help others too. Maybe
it didn't :-)

Paul