[Python-ideas] Briefer string format

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 04:44:25 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> If text formatting is your bottleneck, congratulations on fixing your
> network, disk, RAM and probably your users.

Thank you, but one of my servers just spent 18 hours loading 10GB of XML
data into a database.  Given that CPU was loaded 100% all this time, I
suspect neither network nor disk and not even RAM was the bottleneck.
Since XML parsing was done by C code and only formatting of database INSERT
instructions was done in Python, I strongly suspect string formatting had a
sizable carbon footprint in this case.

Not all string formatting is done for human consumption.