[Python-ideas] Loop manager syntax

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 19:17:44 CEST 2015

I feel like you're overcomplicating the internals if this. My personal implementation idea: functions.

Basically, the pool example would be equivalent to:

temp = Pool()
def func(x):
    do_something
temp.__for__(range(20), func)

so that __for__ could be implemented like:

def __for__(self, iter, func):
    # Do something with the pool

Yields and returns could be implicitly propagated.

However, this *does* start treading into the "everything is magically implicit" territory of Ruby and Perl, which completely contradicts Python's zen.

On July 28, 2015 12:02:09 PM CDT, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas <python-ideas at python.org> wrote:
>On Jul 28, 2015, at 15:28, Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Following the discussion of the new "async" keyword, I think it would
>be useful to provide a generic way to alter the behavior of loops.  My
>idea is to allow a user to take control over the operation of a "for"
>or "while" loop.
>>
>> The basic idea is similar to context managers, where an object
>implementing certain magic methods, probably "__for__" and "__while__",
>could be placed in front of a "for" or "while" statement, respectively.
>This class would then be put in charge of carrying out the loop.  Due
>to the similarity to context managers, I am tentatively calling this a
>"loop manager".
>>
>> What originally prompted this idea was parallelization.  For example
>the "multiprocessing.Pool" class could act as a "for" loop manager,
>allowing you to do something like this:
>>
>>  >>> from multiprocessing import Pool
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Pool() for x in range(20):
>>  ...    do_something
>>  >>>

>> The body of the "for" loop would then be run in parallel.
>
>First, this code would create a Pool, use it, and leak it. And yes,
>sure, you could wrap this all in a with statement, but then the
>apparent niceness that seems to motivate the idea disappears.
>
>Second, what does the Pool.__for__ method get called with here? There's
>an iterable, a variable name that it has to somehow assign to in the
>calling function's scope, and some code (in what form exactly?) that it
>has to execute in that calling function's scope.
>
>You could do something like this for the most trivial __for__ method:
>
>def __for__(self, scope: ScopeType, iterable: Iterable, name: str,
>code: CodeType):
>        for x in iterable:
>            scope.assign(name, x)
>            try:
>                exec(code, scope)
>            except LoopBreak:
>                break
>            except LoopContinue:
>                continue
>            except LoopYield as y
>                make calling function yield?!
>            except LoopReturn as r:
>                make calling function return?!
>
>It would take a nontrivial change to the compiler to compile the body
>of the loop into a separate code object, but with assignments still
>counted in the outer scope's locals list, yield expressions still
>making the outer function into a generator function, etc. You'd need to
>invent this new scope object type (just passing local, nonlocal, global
>dicts won't work because you can have assignments inside a loop body).
>Making yield, yield from, and return act on the calling function is bad
>enough, but for the first two, you need some way to also resume into
>the loop code later.
>
>If you designed a full "degenerate function" that solved all of these
>problems, I think that would be more useful than this proposal;
> [...]

Sent from my Nexus 5 with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.