[Python-ideas] If branch merging

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Jun 12 19:21:39 CEST 2015

On 06/12/2015 08:14 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Ethan Furman writes:
>
>> Likewise:
>>
>>     for val in some_iterator:
>>        use(val)
>>
>>     bar(val)
>>
>> will shadow foo.val
>
> Yes, I understand that.  What I don't understand is your statement
> that you would like "if expr as val:" if it *doesn't* shadow.

Ah, I think I see your point.  My use of the word "shadow" was in relation to the micro-scope and the previously existing name being shadowed and then un-shadowed when the micro-scope was destroyed.
If we are at module-level (not class nor function) then there should be no shadowing, but a rebinding of the name.  Even try/except blocks don't "shadow", but rebind and then delete the name used to
catch the exception.

--
~Ethan~