[Python-ideas] Meta: Email netiquette

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 03:24:31 CEST 2015

On 14 Jun 2015 06:06, "Ben Finney" <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com>
> writes:
>
> > FWIW, from my phone the previous email is completely ineditable and I
> > can't even delete it. Hence my signature, putting the blame firmly
> > where it belongs ;)
>
> This speaks to a deficiency in the tool. Rather than apologising for bad
> etiquette, surely the better course is not to use a tool that needs such
> apology?
>
> In other words: if your tool can't compose messages properly, don't
> apologise for it; instead, stop using that tool for composing messages.

Far easier said than done, especially in an institutional context, as there
are currently *zero* readily available email clients out there that
adequately cover hybrid operation for folks bridging the gap between the
open source community and the world of enterprise collaboration suites.

Gmail (and its associated Android app) at least attains "not entirely awful
at it" status, but I'd expect Microsoft's clients to still be assuming
Outlook/Exchange style models.

Cheers,
Nick.