[Python-ideas] Keyword-only arguments?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:52:49 CEST 2015

On 18 Jun 2015 6:27 am, "Geoffrey Spear" <geoffspear at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Joseph Jevnik <joejev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > In retrospect I wish this had been backported to 2.7, because they're
super useful for making better APIs, but that ship has sailed

>> Why would this not be able to be ported now? It does not clash with any
existing python 2 syntax so all current python 2 is still valid and has no
behaviour change.

> Python 2.7 is not getting new features (ssl changes notwithstanding), and
there will never be a Python 2.8. There's certainly no desire to add new
syntax so there would be code that will run in Python 2.7.11 only, and not
in earlier 2.7 releases.

Exactly - it's only in truly exceptional cases like the PEP 466 & 476
network security changes that we'll add features to Python 2.7.

Keyword-only arguments are certainly a nice enhancement, but their absence
isn't actively harmful the way the aging network security capabilities were.

Regards,
Nick.