[Python-ideas] solving multi-core Python

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Jun 21 00:08:40 CEST 2015

On Jun 20, 2015 2:42 PM, "Eric Snow" <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:

> tl;dr Let's exploit multiple cores by fixing up subinterpreters,
> exposing them in Python, and adding a mechanism to safely share
> objects between them.

This all sounds really cool if you can pull it off, and shared-nothing
threads do seem like the least impossible model to pull off. But "least
impossible" and "possible" are different :-). From your email I can't tell
whether this plan is viable while preserving backcompat and memory safety.

Suppose I have a queue between two subinterpreters, and on this queue I
place a list of dicts of user-defined-in-python objects, each of which
holds a reference to a user-defined-via-the-C-api object. What happens next?

-n