[Python-ideas] solving multi-core Python

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Jun 22 02:49:38 CEST 2015

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 09:47:29 +1000

> > Or perhaps the fact that those superiors APIs are a PITA.
> > select() and friends may be crude performance-wise (though, strangely,
> > we don't see providers migrating massively to Windows in order to
> > improve I/O throughput), but they are simple to use.
>
> Aye, there's a reason using a smart IDE like Visual Studio, IntelliJ or
> Eclipse is pretty much essential for both Windows and Java programming.
> These platforms fall squarely on the "tools maven" side of Oliver Steele's
> "IDE Divide": http://blog.osteele.com/posts/2004/11/ides/

It's not about using an IDE, it's the more complex and delicate control
flow that asynchronous IO (IOCP / Overlapped) imposes compared to
non-blocking IO (e.g. select()).

Not to mention that lifetime issues are hard to handle safely and
generically before Vista (that is, before CancelIOEx():
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363792%28v=3Dv=
s.85%29.aspx -- "The CancelIoEx function allows you to cancel requests
in threads other than the calling thread. The CancelIo function only
cancels requests in the same thread that called the CancelIo function")

Regards

Antoine.