[Python-ideas] solving multi-core Python

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jun 23 18:01:18 CEST 2015

On Jun 23, 2015, at 01:52 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>The current reference-counts-embedded-in-the-object-structs memory
>layout also plays havoc with the all-or-nothing page level
>copy-on-write semantics used by the fork() syscall at the operating
>system layer, so some of the ideas we've been considering
>(specifically, those related to moving the reference counter
>bookkeeping out of the object structs themselves) would potentially
>help with that as well (but would also have other hard to predict
>performance consequences).

A crazy offshoot idea would be something like Emacs' unexec, where during the
build process you could preload a bunch of always-used immutable modules, then
freeze the state in such a way that starting up again later would be much
faster, because the imports (and probably more importantly, the searching)
could be avoided.

Cheers,
-Barry