[Python-ideas] solving multi-core Python

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Thu Jun 25 09:01:19 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 05:26:59PM +0200, Sturla Molden wrote:
> On 24/06/15 07:01, Eric Snow wrote:
>
> >In return, my question is, what is the level of effort to get fork+IPC
> >to do what we want vs. subinterpreters?  Note that we need to
> >accommodate Windows as more than an afterthought
>
> Windows is really the problem. The absence of fork() is especially hurtful
> for an interpreted language like Python, in my opinion.

    UNIX is really the problem.  The absence of tiered interrupt request
    levels, memory descriptor lists, I/O request packets (Irps), thread
    agnostic I/O, non-paged kernel memory, non-overcommitted memory
    management, universal page/buffer cache, better device driver
    architecture and most importantly, a kernel architected around
    waitable events, not processes, is harmful for efficiently solving
    contemporary optimally with modern hardware.

    VMS got it right from day one.  UNIX did not.

    :-)

        Trent.