[Python-ideas] gofmt for Python: standardized styling as a language feature

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Wed Mar 18 04:42:39 CET 2015

What coding style would be used for such a tool?  PEP-8?  What about a
tool for those of us who believe that PEP-8 got a few things wrong?

What about for the tribal knowledge that pythonistas develop over time
that are not part of the standard?  Would such a tool include this?

And what of third party tools that do the same thing?  I have no
evidence to support this, but I have the feeling that when the standard
library includes something in a new space, third party work in that
space slows (json and sqlite come to mind).

Good coding style really should not be something we ship in the library,
it should be something we teach.

2¢