[Python-ideas] Evolution of Style Guides

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Mar 18 09:58:10 CET 2015

On 18.03.2015 07:33, Ian Lee wrote:
> tl;dr -- How should style guides evolve?
>
> So this is a post inspired largely by a thread that popped up today [1],
> and specifically Alex's message [2]. I didn't want to derail that
> conversation (specifically dealing with style checking / correcting as a
> part of the standard library), but I did want to start a separate thread
> for an idea that's been rattling around in my brain for a while now.
> (Disclaimer, I am the current lead maintainer of the pep8 package, so part
> of this comes from my work there.)
>
> Namely, how should style guides, and here I'm particularly looking at
> PEP-8, evolve?

By revisiting them every now and them :-)

I think that people sometimes miss the "guide" aspect of PEP 8.

PEP 8 is a guideline for people to follow which results
in readable code. It's not a the only such guideline. Many
companies have their own which usually build on PEP 8 and then
add some extra rules or modify PEP 8 rules.

Whether or not to use a tool enforcing a guideline like PEP 8
is really up to the user or the programming context.

I'm -1 on having a go like feature in Python which mandates
one particular style, but absolutely nothing against tools
applying a formatting specification to some Python code on
demand :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 18 2015)
2015-03-12: Released mxODBC 3.3.2 ...             http://egenix.com/go71

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/