[Python-ideas] discouraging direct use of the C-API

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed May 6 23:41:13 CEST 2015

On 06.05.2015 18:23, Eric Snow wrote:
> A big blocker to making certain sweeping changes to CPython (e.g.
> ref-counting) is compatibility with the vast body of C extension
> modules out there that use the C-API.  While there are certainly
> drastic long-term solutions to that problem, there is one thing we can
> do in the short-term that would at least get the ball rolling.  We can
> put a big red note at the top of every page of the C-API docs that
> encourages folks to either use CFFI or Cython.
>
> Thoughts?

Python without the C extensions would hardly have had the
success it has. It is widely known as perfect language to
glue together different systems and provide integration.

Deprecating the C API would mean that you deprecate all
those existing C extensions together with the C API.

This can hardly be in the interest of Python's quest for
world domination :-)

BTW: What can be more drastic than deprecating the Python C API ?
There are certainly better ways to evolve an API than getting
rid of it.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 06 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/