[Python-ideas] Function composition (was no subject)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun May 10 08:01:11 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 04:58:29AM +0000, Douglas La Rocca wrote:
> (Newcomer here.)
>
> I use function composition pretty extensively. I've found it to be
> incredibly powerful, but can lead to bad practices. Certain other
> drawbacks are there as well, like unreadable tracebacks. But in many
> cases there are real benefits. And for data pipelines where you want
> to avoid state and mutation it works well.

Thanks for the well-thought out and very detailed post!

The concrete experience you bring to this discussion is a welcome change
from all the theoretical "wouldn't it be nice (or awful) if ..." from
many of us, and I include myself. The fact that you have extensive
experience with using function composition in practice, and can point
out the benefits and disadvantages, is great.

--
Steve