[Python-ideas] Partial operator (and 'third-party methods' and 'piping') [was Re: Function composition (was no subject)]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 11 16:41:01 CEST 2015

As long as I'm "in charge" the chances of this (or anything like it) being
accepted into Python are zero. I get a headache when I try to understand
code that uses function composition, and I end up having to laboriously
rewrite it using more traditional call notation before I move on to
understanding what it actually does. Python is not Haskell, and perhaps
more importantly, Python users are not like Haskel users. Either way, what
may work out beautifully in Haskell will be like a fish out of water in
Python.

I understand that it's fun to try to sole this puzzle, but evolving Python
is more than solving puzzles. Enjoy debating the puzzle, but in the end
Python will survive without the solution.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)