[Python-ideas] Adding jsonschema to the standard library

Demian Brecht demianbrecht at gmail.com
Fri May 22 18:39:34 CEST 2015

First off, thanks all for the well thought out responses! Will try to touch on each point when I get a few spare cycles throughout the day.

> On May 21, 2015, at 2:15 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The other question to be answered these days is the value bundling
> offers over "pip install jsonschema" (or a platform specific
> equivalent). While it's still possible to meet that condition, it's
> harder now that we offer pip as a standard feature, especially since
> getting added to the standard library almost universally makes life
> more difficult for module maintainers if they're not already core
> developers.

This is an interesting problem and a question that I’ve had at the back of my mind as well. With the addition of pip, there is really no additional value /to those who already know about the package and what problem it solves/. In my mind, the value of bundling anything nowadays really boils down to “this is the suggested de facto standard of solving problem [X] using Python”. I see two problems with relying on pip and PyPI as an alternative to bundling:

1. PyPI is filled with multiple solutions to the same problem. This can be difficult to wade through for the experienced developer, never mind the novice.
2. You generally won't know about packages that don’t solve problems you’ve solved or are solving. Early on in my adoption of Python, there were a number of times where I just spent time digging through the standard library and was surprised by the offerings that I didn’t even know were a thing. Likewise with jsonschema, I wouldn’t have known it was a thing had a co-worker not introduced me to it a couple years ago.