[Python-ideas] Framework for Python for CS101

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:19:59 CEST 2015

Ways to teach Python from first principles:

* Restrict the syntactical token list ("switch features on and off")
  * Fork Python
  * RPython -- https://rpython.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
  * https://pypi.python.org/pypi/RestrictedPython
  * http://pyvideo.org/video/2585/building-and-breaking-a-python-sandbox
  * OR: execute code in container (e.g. LXC, LXD, Docker (JupyterHub);
virtualization)

* Add a preprocessor with a cost function to limit valid tokens for a given
code submission
  (see the links to the Python grammar, tokenizer, compiler linked above)

* Modify nbgrader to evaluate submissions with such a cost function:
  https://github.com/jupyter/nbgrader

* Receive feedback about code syntax and tests from a CI system with
repository commit (web)hooks
  * BuildBot, Jenkins, Travis CI, xUnit XML

https://westurner.org/wiki/awesome-python-testing#continuous-integration-ci-and-continuous-delivery-cd