[Python-ideas] Timer that starts as soon as it is imported

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:30:53 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas
<python-ideas at python.org> wrote:
> On May 27, 2015, at 02:00, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:50 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How do you make these importable? Do you git clone it from site-packages?
>>> Like:
>>>
>>> cd site-packages/
>>> git clone .../shed .
>
> Or just build a trivial distribution out of it and then you can just "pip install git+https://github.com/you/repo".

But that would make it nested under the "repo" package namespace, no?
If not, then how pip detects conflicts when the same file is provided
by different sheds? I don't want it to just overwrite my scripts when
somebody updates their repository.

>>> ??? What if you have two shed repositories with different tools?
>
> ... which solves that problem.
>
>> I prefer to operate out of ~ so I'd symlink, but otherwise, yes. And
>> there won't be two sheds, because there is only one me.
>
> ... even if someone figures out how to fork and clone Chris or Anatoly.
>
> Anyway, it works for me a lot better than the floppy I used to carry around with abutils.py, .emacs, and half a dozen other files I couldn't live without on a new/borrowed computer.

There was no Python in my floppy universe. It probably appeared 10 years later
when internet became more accessible and Google said they are hiring. =)

I am now more inclined that there needs to be a shed convention to gather
statistical data on custom root level importable that may be handy for some
kind of "altlib" distribution.
--
anatoly t.