[Python-ideas] Cmake as build system

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu May 28 18:06:44 CEST 2015

There was a big thread about this recently l-- and many more before that,
I'm sure. Please read them before posting more...

But:

cPython is an open source project -- while it would be NICE to get core
developer's support before going out and doing something new, if anyone is
convinced that they can set up a better build system for Python -- go ahead
and do it -- if it turns out all skeptic are wrong, and the issues they
raise can be overcome easily enough -- then you will have proved that.

But going on and on on this list about how other people should do something
different isn't going to get you anywhere.

One small note:

> Take
> a SCons, for example, and try to port that to Python 3. You will see the
> key
> points that need to be solved (see the bulletproof unicode thread in this
> list).

uhm, in that thread, you ask for a Python2 solution (so apparently nothing
to do with porting to py3) -- whereas in Python3, there is surrogateescape
support.

So while yes, python3's consistent, robust approach to Unicode has made
processing ill-defined text harder than python2, this particular problem
HAS been addressed, and in fact, is easier to to do in py2 than py3.

discussing Python usage issues in development
> lists is discouraged even though the issues raised there are important for
> language usability.

you can only put so much on one list -- if you want to discuss how to do
something with the existing implementation of Python (2 or 3...) then an
"ideas" list or "devel" list isn't the right place. What is the problem
with that?

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov