[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] If you shadow a module in the standard library that IDLE depends on, bad things happen

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Nov 1 06:42:50 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:49:49AM +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:

> Adding warnings to IDLE when you save a file is a fine idea, and will
> help IDLE users avoid pain.

IDLE users must be different from most computer users then, because most
computer users don't read warnings or errors.

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2008/10/31/nobody-reads/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/125269/how-would-you-handle-users-who-dont-read-dialog-boxes

> I want to help _everybody_ with a change
> to Python, so that it issues a warning when you shadow something in
> the standard library.

It's not enough to protect the stdlib. I've seen people accidently
shadow numpy, or other third-party modules.

--
Steve