[Python-ideas] add a single __future__ for py3?

Michael Scott Cuthbert cuthbert at mit.edu
Fri Nov 27 14:29:36 EST 2015

(an old list topic that I accidentally sent to the Google Groups list)

One smaller request is to remove 'barry_as_FLUFL' from "__future__.all_feature_names".  It's a great practical joke, but it bit me hard on a project where I check that, for Py2/Py3 consistency, each module imports all relevant __future__ names, and ensures that doctests on Py2 are run with them on.  I figured that I could iterate through .all_feature_names and turn them all on except unicode_literals and be safe, but suddenly I was getting Syntax errors on all my != tests, and there was not anywhere to turn to for an explanation.  Barry might be pleased.  In any case it seems better to treat it like "braces" which isn’t listed in "all_feature_names"

Best,
Myke Cuthbert

(long-time-reader-first-time-writer intro: switched from Perl to Python in 2006, wrote music21 (music analysis toolkit) in Python, got tenure at MIT for it. Hugely thankful to the amazing community)