[Python-ideas] PEP 506 (secrets module) and token functions

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Oct 7 06:05:12 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 11:26:11AM -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > This is already looking good. An additional advantage to having a new
> > module (as opposed to changing random) is that it could easily be
> > backported as a PyPI package, all the way back to Python 2.7.
> >
> > I do still think that having a concrete proposal for what should
> > (initially) go into secrets.py would make for a more compelling PEP.
>

> Thanks Guido.
>
> I'm not sure how much more concrete a proposal you are looking for. The
> PEP now lists a sample implementation. I've described it as
> "pseudo-code" only to indicate that it may be incomplete (e.g. missing
> some imports to make it work, lacking in error checking). It also lacks
> docstrings and tests, but otherwise I think it is most of the module.

Hm... I totally did not find that when I read the PEP and even just now I
almost missed it!

What I had expected was something that could be directly committed into the
stlib, similar to the statistics.py module you contributed. But apparently
it's so small it could be inlined and overlooked! :-)

Maybe you could clean it up, write some tests, and publish it somewhere?
(Not sure if you do GitHub. :-)

One bikeshed: maybe we should keep only randrange() and drop the confusing
randint()?

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)