[Python-ideas] Simpler syntax for basic iterations

Erik python at lucidity.plus.com
Wed Oct 14 02:12:05 CEST 2015

On 14/10/15 01:01, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> If anyone wants to argue the pros and cons of one convention versus the
> other, or what unused loop variables ought to be called (x, unused,
> each, _, __, dontcare, whatever...) please take it to
> python-list at python.org or comp.lang.python, as it is off-topic here.

The discussion of "what unused loop variables ought to be called" is in
direct response to someone suggesting a syntax change to make things
easier to teach.

To suggest that they spell the loop differently to make it easier to
teach whilst not requiring any syntax changes to the language is, I
would argue, on-topic as a rebuttal to the change request.

However, I agree with you that this particular discussion has probably
run its course.

E.