[Python-ideas] "else if" as equivalent for "elif"

Geoffrey Spear geoffspear at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:49:36 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 3:26 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> The C preprocessor has #elif. Is that strange too? :-)
>
> (It could be argued that it _is_ strange that the C preprocessor has an
> explicitly-terminated "#if ... #endif", whereas the C language itself
> doesn't have an explicitly-terminated "if".)

"We stole this short spelling from C" shouldn't be an argument in favor of
any spelling, in my opinion.

(Not creating a second way to do something or deprecating a language
keyword is a much stronger argument, of course; I'm as opposed to this
proposal as I'd be to a propose to rename strptime and strftime, but I'd
also think "but that's how C spells them!" would be a bad argument in that
case. Don't even get me started about Popen objects...)