[Python-ideas] "else if" as equivalent for "elif"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 05:52:16 EDT 2015

On 26 October 2015 at 09:37, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> So ideas are welcome, but they need to be backed by an implementation,
> and "I'm not interested in implementing this idea for you" is an
> entirely legitimate (and not uncommon) response that people need to be
> prepared to accept.

It's also the case that the number of ways we can make Python worse is
uncountably infinite, while the number of ways we can make it easier
to use without also making it harder to learn is vanishingly small by
comparison. (Hence the controversy over concepts like gradual typing,
which improves usability for larger projects and teams, but introduces
a new concept that people are likely to eventually have to learn as
they gain further experience with the language)

This means that *both* python-ideas and python-dev serve primarily as
filters when it comes to new features: python-ideas finds the ideas
that *might* have potential, and helps refine them into a concrete
pitch to python-dev (or an enhancement request on the issue tracker
for simpler ideas that don't need full python-dev review), while
python-dev is more focused on delivering a relatively prompt yes/no
answer on whether or not an idea is acceptable in principle, and then
refining the practical details if the answer is "yes".

Cheers,
Nick.