[Python-ideas] Add 'module' module, similar to 'keyword' module

Brendan Barnwell brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Sat Oct 31 19:07:02 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-31 15:45, Terry Reedy wrote:
> Revised and reduced proposal: If other people would find it useful, add
> all_stdlib_toplevel_module_names - builtin_module_names to sys as
> something equivalent to .other_stdlib_module_names or
> .python_coded_module_names.  Anyone wanting all_toplevel_module names
> could add the two.  Or add the latter, and let others subtract.

	One thing I've sometimes wondered about for Python 4000 is the idea of
putting the whole standard library under a single top-level package
(e.g., from stdlib import sys).  This would be a big change but would
reduce the surprises that can arise from stdlib modules named things
like "string", "parser", etc.  I see a brief mention of this in PEP 3108
but that's it.  Was there more discussion of the idea?

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no