[Python-ideas] Add appdirs module to stdlib

Chris Kaynor ckaynor at zindagigames.com
Wed Sep 2 20:54:16 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> Plus, it's not really any harder to find than a "Hidden" directory
>> beginning with a dot
>
> Quit the contrary. Files beginning with a '.' are not hidden on Windows
> Explorer (or Command Prompt dir, for that matter).  I do not know of any way
> to enable showing hidden files with Explorer. (If you know of one, tell me.)
> The secret to getting to one is to click the directory sequence bar to the
> right of the last entry to get a directory path string, click again to
> unselect it, then add the name.  In this particular case, enter
> 'AppData/Roaming' or '%APPDATA%'.  It is intentionally difficult for user to
> access these files.

There is an option in the GUI for it:
On Windows 7, from an explorer window: Tools->Folder Options->View Tab
then in the Advanced Settings list: "Show hidden files, folders, and
drives". On Windows 7, the menus are hidden by default, and you need
to hold Alt for them to show up. I think Vista uses the same options,
and the menus are shown by default, while XP uses a slightly different
layout, but its in roughly the same location.

I do not know where it is on Windows 8 or 10, as I have never really
used either of those.

Chris