[Python-ideas] Packaging systems (was Non-English names in the turtle module)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 09:09:08 CEST 2015

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 10:57:42 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 12:18:52AM -0700, Andrew Barnert wrote:
>
> > On Sep 3, 2015, at 19:45, Steven D'Aprano <st... at pearwood.info
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > >
> > > - Beginners aren't going to know to "pip install whatever". Some of us
> > > here seem to think that pip is the answer to everything, but if you
> look
> > > on the python-list mailing list, you will see plenty of evidence that
> > > people have trouble using pip.
> >
> > Of course a sizable chunk of those say "my Python didn't come with
> > pip" and the after a bit of exploration you find that they're using
> > Python 2.7.3 or something, so any feature added to Python 3.6 isn't
> > likely to help them anyway.
>
> You say "of course", but did you actually look at the python-list
> archives? If you do, you will see posts like these two within the last
> 24 hours:
>
> [quote]
> I am running Python 3.4 on Windows 7 and is facing [Error 13]
> Permission Denied while installing Python packages...
> [end quote]
>
> and:
>
> [quote]
> Well I have certainly noted more than once that pip is contained in
> Python 3.4. But I am having the most extreme problems with simply typing
> "pip" into my command prompt and then getting back the normal
> information on pip!
> [end quote]
>
> And a random selection of other issues which I just happen to still
> have visible in my news reader:
>
> [quote]
> Python 2.7.9 and later (on the python2 series), and Python 3.4 and
> later include pip by default. But I can not find it in python2.7.10
> package. What's the matter? How can i install pip on my Embedded device?
> [end quote]
>
> [quote]
> I've installed a fresh copy of Python 3.5.0b2 and - as recommended -
> upgraded pip. I don't understand the reason for the permission errors as
> I am owner and have full control for the temporary directory created.
> [end quote]
>
> [quote]
> I was fed up with trying to install from pypi to Windows.  Setup.py more
> often than not wouldn't be able to find the VS compiler. So I thought
> I'd try the direct route to the excellent Christoph Gohlke site at
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ which is all whl files these
> days.  However as you can see below despite my best efforts I'm still
> processing the tar.gz file, so what am I doing wrong?
> [end quote]
>

> (Some spelling errors and obvious typos corrected.)
>
> Please don't dismiss out of hand the actual experience of real users
> with pip. At least one of those quotes above is from a long-time Python
> regular who knows his way around the command line.
>
> This is not meant as an anti-pip screed, so please don't read it as
> [...]
Packaging systems suffer from a Law:

The quality of the packaging-system is inversely proportional to the
quality of the language being packaged

[Corollary to the invariable NIH syndrome that programmers suffer from]

Notice:

Haskell' hackage : Terrible
Python's pip: Bad
Ruby's gems: Ok
Perl's CPAN : Good
Debian's apt (mishmash of perl, shell and other unspeakbles) : Superb