[Python-ideas] High time for a builtin function to manage packages (simply)?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 10:30:21 CEST 2015

On 5 September 2015 at 17:08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano writes:
>
>  > You say "of course", but did you actually look at the python-list
>  > archives? If you do, you will see posts like these two within the last
>  > 24 hours:
>
> So let's fix it, already![1]  Now that we have a blessed package
> management module, why not have a builtin that handles the simple
> cases?

Running "python -m pip" instead of "pip" already avoids many of the
issues with PATH configuration, which is one of the reasons why that's
what I recommend in the main Python docs at
https://docs.python.org/3/installing/ &
https://docs.python.org/2/installing/

Unfortunately, I've yet to convince the rest of PyPA (let alone the
community at large) that telling people to call "pip" directly is *bad
advice* (as it breaks in too many cases that beginners are going to
encounter), so it would be helpful if folks helping beginners on
python-list and python-tutor could provide feedback supporting that
perspective by filing an issue against
https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide

Cheers,
Nick.