[Python-ideas] Wheels For ...

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 01:45:22 CEST 2015

On 8 September 2015 at 02:22, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:
> On 07.09.2015 02:26, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>> For the build farm idea, it's not just writing the code initially,
>> it's operating the resulting infrastructure, and that's a much bigger
>> ongoing commitment. Automatically building wheels for source uploads
>> is definitely on the wish list, there are just a large number of other
>> improvements needed before it's feasible.
>

> Could you be more specific on these improvements, Nick?

- PyPI: migrating from the legacy Zope codebase to Warehouse
- PyPI: end-to-end content signing (PEPs 458 & 480)
- PyPI: automated analytics & dashboards
- Tooling: integration with operating systems & other platforms
- Python Software Foundation financial sustainability
- Python Software Foundation project management capacity
- Infrastructure improvements for the CPython workflow

Those aren't dependencies of automatic wheel-building per se, but
rather are issues that are higher priorities for folks like Donald (in
terms of actually getting things done), myself (in terms of
collaborating more effectively with other open source ecosystems), and
the PSF staff and Board (in terms of ensuring the python.org
infrastructure is being appropriately maintained).

Running an automated build service is expensive, not primarily in
setting it up, but in terms of the ongoing sustaining engineering
costs (including security monitoring and response), so before we
commit to doing it, we need to know how we're going to fund it.
However, most of the PSF's focus at the moment is on getting the
things we *already* do [1] on a more sustainable footing, so adding
*new* services isn't currently a priority.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundation/Proposals/StrategicPriorities