[Python-ideas] One way to do format and print

Stefan Krah skrah at bytereef.org
Wed Sep 9 18:35:46 CEST 2015

Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at ...> writes:
> I still don't understand what's wrong with deprecating %, but okay. I
> think f-strings will push {} to wide-range adoption.

Then it will probably be hard to explain, so I'll be direct:

  1) Many Python users are fed up with churn and don't want to do yet
     another rewrite of their applications (just after migrating to
     3.x).

  2) Despite many years of officially preferring {}-formatting in
     the docs (and on Stackoverflow), people *still* use %-formatting.
     This should be a clue that they actually like it.

  3) %-formatting often has better performance and is often
     easier to read.

  4) Yes, in other cases {}-formatting is easier to read. So choose
     whatever is best.

Stefan Krah